Jun 23, 2020
Are all fermented foods probiotics? Learn the important
difference, and how to include them in your diet!
In this episode of Let's Gut Real, I interview Bob Hutkins, PhD
and Mary Ellen Sanders, PhD on the important difference between
fermented foods and probiotics.
We also talk about:
- What are fermented foods?
- What are probiotics?
- How fermented foods and probiotics differ and why it’s
important to define a difference?
- Why do we need to be precise with conversations on
- Discuss the new AGA's Clinical Practice Guidelines for
- Where evidence exists to support the use of probiotics
- Bacterial persistence – if they don’t join our microbes why do
they benefit us?
- How one would use fermented foods versus probiotics
- A bit about the history of fermented foods & our
- Why including fermented foods in our diet is a good idea
- Is the research strong enough to recommend fermented foods in
the diet? What evidence exists?
You can find up to date information on ISAPP by visiting
or, if you listen to this before July 1st, you can sign up to their
upcoming webinar ‘Fermented
Food – Separating Hype from Facts.’ At 1pm BST (6 am MST).